A hearty vegetarian curry prepared in the crock pot to allow flavors a long melding time, yielding a deep, savory, and, depending on your curry powder, explosive dish.
- 4 small potatoes, diced or 4 small potatoes, chunked
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans or 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon good quality curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan or skillet. Add spices, saute for 1 minute or so.
- Add onions and saute for 2 - 5 minutes.
- Add both cans of Rotel.
- Pour mixture into crockpot. Add potatoes and canned beans to crockpot.
- Allow to crock on low for 6 - 9 hours or on high for 3 - 5 hours, depending on your crockpot.
- Serve over rice or with makki di roti (indian cornbread).
If you love really flavorful, hot food, this is the recipe for you. Between the heat of the cayenne and the intensity of the curry and cardamom, you'll have one, really good and spicy dish. Make sure to serve with plenty of rice.
Spicy, delicious, and simple! Just what I love in a recipe! :) I added some cumin and corriader for additional flavor. Thank you for posting!