Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I am Torgo. The Master loves this very special concoction. Because of his high blood pressure, I must rinse any canned vegetables before putting them in the crock pot. I use a meat-substitute but if you wish you may use a meat-substitute substitute...like meat.
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesof vegetarian veggie crumbles
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄8 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onions or 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (any color)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- In a crock pot, hand-crush all the tomatoes (watch out: they spit!). Then combine all the beans, vegetarian burger crumbles, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a heavy pot at medium heat, then add the onions. Sweat them until tender. Add the bell peppers, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and bay leaves. Cook until bell peppers are tender.
- Add the heavy pot contents to the crock pot and cook at high heat for 2 hours. Add the corn, turn to low and cook an additional hour. Eat.
i couldn't fit everything in my crock pot, so only used 1 pkg of the fake ground meat. and i misread the instructions - didn't realize i need THREE 28 oz cans of tomatos... but i rustled some up. i used one can with mild green chilies. that added a little more fire.
used pinto beans instead of garbanzo.
i was skeptical with all of the draining of the canned goods, but you need to! i should have drained a little more aggressively as mine had a more watery consistency than anticipated (and even without the extra 12oz of meat substitute I boiled over), but it tasted lovely!
i cooked on low for 8 hours.