Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Simple vegan crock pot recipe.
Make and share this Crock Pot Black Beans and Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- Combine all ingredients except rice in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (high 3 to 4 hours).
- Add cooked rice before serving.
This is a great dish. I make it at least twice a month. I did make some adjustments: I use diced tomatoes instead of stewed and a little less broth and I put orzo in for the last hour. It assorbs just enough liquid so it's still a thick stew instead of a soup which I prefer.
This was a wonderful and easy meal. It is a great chili alternative. It was wonderful with or without cheese, but the kids preferred it with cheese.
Made for PAC, March '09. I was really impressed at how these simple ingredients came together to form such a wonderful soup!!! The house smelled so good while it was cooking, too! I served mine with shredded cheese and sour cream on top, but it was awesome on it's own as well! Thanks!