1/2 Photos of Creole Sweet Potatoes, Corn and Squash Bake
My latest take on a favorite Faye Levy recipe. The recipe is metric, but you can use the Zaar magic button to convert to Imperial.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 350 g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 350 g pale green squash, halved lengthwise (if you can't get pale green you can substitute dark green zucchini)
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (800 g) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- 2Add the sweet potatoes to a saucepan of boiling water.
- 3Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 6 minutes.
- 4Add the squashes and simmer for 4 minutes, or until both vegetables are nearly tender but not too soft.
- 5Drain and rinse the vegetables with cold water.
- 6Cut squashes and sweet potatoes into 2 centimeter dice (a little smaller than 1 inch).
- 7Heat the oil in a medium saute pan.
- 8Add the onion, pepper and celery and cook over medium low heat, stirring, until onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes.
- 9Add garlic and cook for another 1/2 minute.
- 10Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, paprika, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 11Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- 12Discard the bay leaf.
- 13Add the oregano, thyme and hot sauce to taste.
- 14Add the squash, corn and sweet potatoes to the sauce.
- 15Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 16Spoon into a 2-liter casserole.
- 17Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Sweet Potatoes, Corn and Squash Bake
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.6
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 341.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g