This is a great healthy soup recipe that can easily be vegan - just use veggie broth and skip the dairy! You can use plain old button mushrooms but I really enjoyed this with oyster and baby portobello mushrooms. I also chose sherry and evaporated milk and it turned out great. This is a modified version of a recipe that I got from our health region's magazine. Enjoy!
- 1 lb mushroom (any combination of button, shiitake, crimini, oyster and portobello)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or other small white beans)
- 1⁄2 cup cream (optional) or 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Clean the mushrooms. Slice half of them and finely chop the other half.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Stirring frequently, saute until the moisture evaporates and the mushrooms begin to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sherry and cook until it evaporates. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in milk or cream. Salt and pepper to taste.