This is an adaptation of my grandmother's rice pudding which I fondly remember. It is non-dairy and naturally sweetened, for my darling husband. It is a creamy dreamy warm after school treat on a cold winter day. A big favourite in my house, I know you'll love it as much as we do. Try flavoured soy beverages for a taste variation, just cut back or omit the maple syrup, vanilla and spices as required.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the water and rice together on medium heat until the rice releases its starch and becomes creamy.
- 2Add 1 cup soy milk and the maple syrup. Simmer, stirring frequently until most of the soy milk is absorbed, and the rice is bubbly and thick (about 7 minutes).
- 3Add second and third cups of soy milk in the same manner as the first, continuing to stir frequently.
- 4When the pudding has reached the desired creaminess (about 5 minutes following last soy milk addition), remove from heat and add the vanilla and spices.
- 5Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- 6The pudding may be eaten warm or cold, and will firm up a little as it cools.
- 7Store covered in the refrigerator up to two days, if it lasts that long.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Dreamy Rice Pudding (Non-Dairy)
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.0
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 7.6 g