Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
"The plentiful cranberries in this tart-sweet sauce contain condensed tannins, which help to combat urinary tract infections. This version has apples, sweet currants and walnuts added to the mix" - From the Prevention Magazine book, "Natural Healing Guide 2002."
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped (peel if you like)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons currants
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (or less, to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Heat the water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir in the sugar.
- Simmer the mixture until the sugar dissolves (2-3 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the apple, cranberries and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until the berries have popped and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the currants and cloves and let cool.
- Stir in the nuts and serve.