Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
When you have people skipping the turkey seconds and going back for the chutney by itself, you know you have a winner. I find regular cranberry sauce much too sweet, but this is a nice balance of sweet and savory, and not overly tart or spicy.The original was from an old Gourmet magazine, but I have made substantial modifications. This recipe makes a lot, but it keeps well in the fridge or may be canned using the water bath method.
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) packages fresh cranberries (about 6 cups)
- Combine ingredients up to and including the lemon juice in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the apple, raisins, and 3 cups of the cranberries and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for up to 30 minutes, until thickened.
- Add another 2 cups cranberries and the apricots and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring.
- Finally, add the last of the cranberries and the walnuts and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. At this point you can either cool and chill it or put it into sterilized Mason jars and can it.
- The gradual adding of the cranberries gives you a more interesting texture in that not all of them are cooked down completely.
Great recipe, it has become our family favorite. We did make a modification because we have too many apple trees... we used 10 apples and love the change.
I did cut this recipe in half & in doing so made a few small adjustments on the ingredient amounts, but followed the recipe, nonetheless, & this made for a wonderful chutney! Really liked the combo of fruits here & will be happy to make it again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in India ~ More than just Curries Tag Game]