You'll find similar salads at many German BBQs or on cold buffets. It is quick and simple, can be prepared ahead and makes a good vegetarian meal with some whole wheat bread and butter. I love kidney beans and I love salad, so this is among my favorites.- I like it with some tang from the vinegar, feel free to add a little more sugar.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, in 3/8 inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded, in 3/8 inch dice
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded, minced (to taste)
- 2 small scallions, in 3/8 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Note: I use white and light green parts of scallions only. - Adjust hotness to your taste by choosing the amount of jalapeno.
- For the dressing mix all ingredients except oil together until blended. Add oil and taste. It should be nicely sour.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl, pour dressing over and mix thoroughly.
- Let flavors blend for at least 15 minutes or keep in the fridge up to 24 hours ( use less jalapeno then). Serve at room temperature.
- NOTE: If you plan to make the salad ahead of time, consider to add the basil only 30 minutes before serving, so it won't get all brown, but the flavors will have time to blend.