This is really more of a "chickpea compote!" I love this and make it with tons of variations. Here's the basic recipe. I serve these with toasted pita triangles brushed with olive oil and dusted with cumin and kosher salt. this is great for informal gatherings or parties when you need to bring a dish. You could easily make lots of this and I often do. Mmmm!! Add the peppers if you want--just depends on whether you like peppers! the ingredients say red and green ones, but I've added orange and yellow as well. This is an add/delete kind of recipe--keep changing it little by little as you make it!
- 6 -8 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 -3 limes, juice of
- 1 medium red onion, medium dice
- 1 -2 cup canned chick-peas, drained
- 1 -2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (or more to taste)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -4 minced garlic cloves (to taste) (optional)
- green pepper, diced (optional)
- red pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 -2 green onion, sliced thin (optional)
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Marinate for at least an hour--but I usually can't wait if it's just for me!