Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I tried this dish at a very reputable vegetarian restaurant - liked the concept but did not like the flavourings. So I thought I would make my own... It is sort of like an alternative shepherds pie but vegan! I served it with steamed broccoli and roasted potatoes - Enjoy!
- Boil the barley until it is soft.
- Meanwhile, begin steaming the sweet potato.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until it has browned.
- Once the barley is soft, add the onion mixture, the mushrooms, the tomatoes and the herbs.
- Transfer it to an oven-proof dish.
- Mash, or puree the sweet potato with the sea salt until it is smooth, thick and creamy.
- Top the barley mixture with the mashed sweet potato.
- Bake in an oven, at 150 degrees Celcius for an hour.