The secret to good spaghetti sauce is, in my opinion, cooking it very slowly and for a long time. Using a crock pot is the perfect solution! This sauce is great because of all the nutritious vegetables in it, and because it is versatile. I make it without the ground beef for meatless Fridays, with the beef at other times. We pour it over pasta, serve it with spaghetti squash in the fall, or spread it on pita bread to make "pita pizza." All quantities are approximate, so don't be afraid to play around with the ingredients a little.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If using the ground beef, brown it, then drain off the excess grease.
- 2Combine all ingredients in the crock pot.
- 3Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours.
- 4Check the consistency an hour before it is done; if it's too thick, add a little water, and if it's too watery, leave the lid off so that it can reduce somewhat.
- 5For Vegetarian/Vegan omit the ground beef or use a Vegetarian/Vegan ground meat sub.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chunky Crock Pot Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.9
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1395.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 24.8 g
- Protein 9.1 g