From the moment I first tasted this type at Chipotle Grill I was hooked on this tangy salsa. It's not always easy for me to get to the restaurant and to be honest, they don't give you a very generous portion with your chips. I looked all over the internet to find a recipe for this one, but couldn't find it so I made my own. I created this recipe based on the ingredients list on their website, plus a few of my own touches but the result is very very close. Adjust the hot peppers if more or less heat is desired.
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 6 medium tomatillos (use 12 if they are very tiny)
- 1 small red onion, quartered (for a milder taste use a vidalia onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded, roasted (or broiled)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (add more if more heat is desired)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce (more for a hotter salsa)
- sea salt (to personal taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to personal taste)
- Combine the above ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until desired consistency is reached. I gave it about 4 pulses to reach a small sized chunk, perfect for scooping with chips.
Great recipe! It was very simple to make and tastes really good. The only thing missing is it needs some more heat. Maybe adding a hotter pepper than jalapeno would fix that or more jalapeno. Overall, I would recommend if you are looking for a good green salsa recipe.
Love this salsa at Chipotle and this recipe is spot on. Thank you so much for sharing! I just cut the top off of the jalapenos and put everything else in the food processor plus the pepper flakes and tabasco. Just the right amount of heat for me. Thanks so much for solving the elusive mystery of the recipe for Chipotle's Medium Tomatillo Salsa!!
Just tried it and it is delicious! Almost spot on!!! The only thing I found missing was the heat. Like the reviewer before, I also keep the jalapeno seeds. I also doubled the chipotle hot sauce. Despite all that it was still quite mild, I remember the Chipotle grill green salsa is pretty hot. I have to go buy some from their resturant tomorrow and eat the two side by side! Still, overall this is a fantastic and easy green salsa! Thank you so much for sharing!