This recipe is easily altered: add zucchini, cauliflower, or any other veggies. From "Vegan With a Vengeance" by Isa Moskowitz. Tastes best if you let it sit for an hour after fully cooked!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 chipotle peppers, drained and chopped (canned)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, lightly packed, torn into pieces
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- salt and pepper
- In a stockpot, saute the onions in the oil over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute 1 minute more. Add the chipotles, tomatoes, and water, stir. Add the potatoes and carrots, bring to a low boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, add the corn and beans. Thin with more water if needed. Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Add the cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice. Let sit for at least 10 minutes. Serve.
I made this as written. It is excellent. Thanks for the recipe