1 hr 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
I found this on epicurian.com and thought I would like to be able to make my own plum sauce. The ones I've purchased have never really been satisfactory. *** However, it did not give the number of pints or half pints it made so I just put in an amount until I hear from the poster.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs apricots, stoned and quartered
- 2 1/2 lbs red plums, stoned and quartered
- 5 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light Karo syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup toasted mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Roast the peppers to remove skin; quarter lengthwise and devein. Set aside.
- 2Combine the apricots, plums, three cups of vinegar and water in a large non-reactive kettle and simmer until soft; about 25 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4In another non-reactive kettle, this one very large, combine the remaining vinegar, sugars, and Karo and bring to a boil, stirring.
- 5Add the fruit mixture, ginger, salt, mustard seeds, onion, chiles, garlic, cinnamon, and the skinned bell peppers.
- 6Simmer, covered, for five minutes then simmer uncovered for one hour, stirring every so often.
- 7Remove the cinnamon stick.
- 8With a food processor, pulse the mixture for a couple of seconds (this has to be done in batches; * process a little longer if you like a less-textured sauce).
- 9Return to the kettle and boil gently, stirring, until the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes (the sauce will thicken some more as it cools).
- 10Ladle into sterilized jars, either half-pint or pint.
- 11Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (for half-pint jars) or 15 minutes (for pint jars).
- 12Allow to age in the jar for 2 to 4 weeks before using.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Plum Sauce Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (5637 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.3
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1192.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 83.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g