1/2 Photos of Chinese Black Rice Orange and Avocado Salad
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "China meets the Southwest in this unusual fusion salad. Glistening Chinese black rice--usually sold under the label Forbidden Black Rice--set off against bright orange segments and avocado's pale green gives the mixture striking visual appeal." *Time does not include time it takes to cook rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked black rice (or cooked Wehani) or 2 cups cooked wild rice (or cooked Wehani)
- 2 cups oranges, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled and pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 large lettuce leaves (lettuce cups)
- orange wedge, to garnish (optional)
- 1In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, oranges, orange juice, pumpkin seeds, orange zest, salt, and chipotle.
- 2Gently mix in the avocado. Add more salt, if needed.
- 3Place a lettuce cup on each plate and spoon the salad into the lettuce cups.
- 4Garnish with orange wedges, if desired.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Black Rice Orange and Avocado Salad
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 9.2 g