From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "China meets the Southwest in this unusual fusion salad. Glistening Chinese black rice--usually sold under the label Forbidden Black Rice--set off against bright orange segments and avocado's pale green gives the mixture striking visual appeal." *Time does not include time it takes to cook rice.
- 2 cups cooked black rice (or cooked Wehani) or 2 cups cooked wild rice (or cooked Wehani)
- 2 cups oranges, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled and pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 large lettuce leaves (lettuce cups)
- orange wedge, to garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, oranges, orange juice, pumpkin seeds, orange zest, salt, and chipotle.
- Gently mix in the avocado. Add more salt, if needed.
- Place a lettuce cup on each plate and spoon the salad into the lettuce cups.
- Garnish with orange wedges, if desired.