Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bright summer flavor, easy to make, easy to eat! Prep time does not include chilling time.
Make and share this Chilled Lemon-Scented Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Cut woody ends from asparagus.
- Combine water, juice, salt and red pepper in the bottom of an asparagus steamer or other vessel large enough to steam whole asparagus. Bring to a boil.
- Place asparagus in steamer basket and place basket into pot. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and steam until crisp-tender. Time will vary depending on thickness of spears, size of cook pot and preferences of chef. Check at 5 minute intervals -- careful! Steam is hot!
- Remove spears and refrigerate until cold. Dust with zest just before serving.
WONDERFUL! I was looking for a healthy appetizer recipe I could take to a friend's house for a cookout. We needed to bring something healthful and delicious, as my friend is trying to lose a little "fluff". These were full of fresh, wonderful flavor. I did have to make a change simply because I didn't have my steamer handy. First, 2 large lemons was not quite 1/2 cup for me. I added one more lemon to make it 3. This gave me just slightly more than 1/2 cup. It was perfect. Secondly, since my steamer was MIA, I had to drop these into the water, lemon juice, salt and pepper mixture. I boiled them for about 2 minutes (these were very thick stalks). They were still crisp in the center and full of delicious, fat-free flavor. This is now one of my favorite summer asparagus recipes. You MUST try it! Thank you so much for the great recipe!