Cook1 hr 30 mins
Actually, I don't have any vegan friends but if I did, they would be happy! This is a fantastic chili that just happens to be vegan. Made with soy crumbles, it can fool almost anyone. I promise you won't miss the animal by-products! :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or minced)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 28 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) box soy crumbles (I use boca brand)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put first 6 ingredients in large stock pot. Cover and stew 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Add beans and tomatoes with all their liquid plus can of water. Work in tomato paste.
- Add all spices and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add soy crumbles and cook 10 minutes more.
- The longer it sits, the better it gets (and thicker) so feel free to make ahead of time. If desired, serve with cornbread and garnish with cheese or chopped onions!