1/1 Photo of Chickpea-Veggie Loaf
1 hr 20 mins
White Rose Child's Note:
I enjoy this scrumptious loaf time and again, including for Christmas dinner. Be sure to serve with Roasted Garlic Gravy (#203656) and a baked acorn squash, along with salad or sweet peas, for a real feast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes or 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1/3-1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Saute the vegetables in a little water, till the onions are well softened.
- 2Put the chickpeas in a colander, and rinse for 1 minute under hot water. This will make them much easier to mash. Put them in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- 3Heat oven to 300°F.
- 4Combine all other ingredients with the chickpeas, and mix well.
- 5Transfer mixture to a nonstick or lightly oiled loaf pan and pat in in evenly. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- 6Cool the loaf, in the pan, for a few minutes before serving.
- 7Leftovers are great warmed up on a toasted sandwich with gravy!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea-Veggie Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 756.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 11.6 g