I enjoy this scrumptious loaf time and again, including for Christmas dinner. Be sure to serve with Roasted Garlic Gravy (#203656) and a baked acorn squash, along with salad or sweet peas, for a real feast.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups chickpeas
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Saute the vegetables in a little water, till the onions are well softened.
- Put the chickpeas in a colander, and rinse for 1 minute under hot water. This will make them much easier to mash. Put them in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Combine all other ingredients with the chickpeas, and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a nonstick or lightly oiled loaf pan and pat in in evenly. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool the loaf, in the pan, for a few minutes before serving.
- Leftovers are great warmed up on a toasted sandwich with gravy!