1/2 Photos of Chickpea Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans (garbanzos) or 4 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water (about) or 4 cups chicken stock (about)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lemon slice (to garnish)
- 1Soak the beans overnight in warm water.
- 2Strain and dust with baking soda.
- 3Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 4Rinse with hot water and rub a few at a time between your fingers to remove the skins (discard the skins).
- 5Place in strainer and rinse thoroughly for several minutes.
- 6Put into a large pot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam as it rises.
- 7Add the onions, tomato, rosemary, garlic, oil, salt and pepper and simmer covered until the beans split; about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- 8Serve hot with lemon slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1290.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.2 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 26.4 g