A few minor changes to suit taste, based on a recipe by Suzanne Gibbs in her book "the Pressure Cooker". A super easy vegan cury that's great served with pappadums and rice or naan breads (if you can have wheat). Gluten-free and vegan. A mild recipe....add extra spices in if you like a warmer curry. Kids and meat-lovers will enjoy this one. The original recipe calls for 2 potatoes. This recipe uses cooked chickpeas as the addition of salt and acidic tomatoes inhibits the cooking of beans
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 teaspoons crushed garlic (extra if you want more garlic flavour)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (extra for a spicier dish)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly 29.5 ounces in total) or 2 (420 g) cans chickpeas, rinsed well and drained (roughly 29.5 ounces in total)
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes (roughly 28 ounces in total)
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste if desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- fresh cilantro stem, as garnish (cilantro also known as coriander)
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over high heat. Cook the cumin seeds for approx 30 seconds or until they start to crackle.
- Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. The onion should be golden and soft.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the garlic and other spices.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except garnish).
- Close and lock the lid. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to stabilise the pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
- Release pressure and serve with a sprig of coriander or a sprinkle of parsley. Serve with steamed basmati rice, naan or pappadums.
- NOTE: to cook dried beans. Overnight soak, drain water, place into pressure cooker, cover with fresh water and cook on low pressure for 10 minutes. I soaked 2 cups dried chickpeas and result was a little over 4 cups cooked beans. Canned/tinned chickpeas can be used if desired- be sure to drain and wash them well.