1/3 Photos of Chickpea Curry (Vegan -Pressure Cooker)
A few minor changes to suit taste, based on a recipe by Suzanne Gibbs in her book "the Pressure Cooker". A super easy vegan cury that's great served with pappadums and rice or naan breads (if you can have wheat). Gluten-free and vegan. A mild recipe....add extra spices in if you like a warmer curry. Kids and meat-lovers will enjoy this one. The original recipe calls for 2 potatoes. This recipe uses cooked chickpeas as the addition of salt and acidic tomatoes inhibits the cooking of beans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 teaspoons crushed garlic (extra if you want more garlic flavour)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (extra for a spicier dish)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (roughly 29.5 ounces in total) or 2 (420 g) cans chickpeas, rinsed well and drained (roughly 29.5 ounces in total)
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes (roughly 28 ounces in total)
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- fresh cilantro stem, as garnish (cilantro also known as coriander)
- 1Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over high heat. Cook the cumin seeds for approx 30 seconds or until they start to crackle.
- 2Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. The onion should be golden and soft.
- 3Reduce the heat and stir in the garlic and other spices.
- 4Add all remaining ingredients (except garnish).
- 5Close and lock the lid. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to stabilise the pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
- 6Release pressure and serve with a sprig of coriander or a sprinkle of parsley. Serve with steamed basmati rice, naan or pappadums.
- 7NOTE: to cook dried beans. Overnight soak, drain water, place into pressure cooker, cover with fresh water and cook on low pressure for 10 minutes. I soaked 2 cups dried chickpeas and result was a little over 4 cups cooked beans. Canned/tinned chickpeas can be used if desired- be sure to drain and wash them well.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Curry (Vegan -Pressure Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.3
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 478.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 11.6 g