Geri by the Sea's Note:
Unusual! This dish gives a twist on the standard refried-beans-in-flour-tortillas: the filling is made from chickpeas, not pinto beans. The lemon juice, olive oil and tomatoes give the mixture added flavor and smoothness, while binding it together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the onions and garlic very finely.
- 2In a medium pot, saute these in olive oil'til onions are translucent.
- 3Chop up the tomatoes, and add about half of the pile to the onions/garlic.
- 4Saute a couple of minutes longer.
- 5Add chickpeas, a tbs of olive oil, and a tsp of lemon juice, and stir.
- 6Cover the pot, and allow to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 7After 10 minutes, add another tsp lemon juice, stir, and continue to heat.
- 8After 5 minutes, add another tsp lemon juice and a tbs olive oil.
- 9While still cooking, mash the chickpeas.
- 10You are looking for a consistency that could be described as"a chunky puree.
- 11"Stir in remaining tomatoes, add cumin and paprika to taste (a few dashes), and mash together some more.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13In a frying pan, put a very small amount of oil, and allow it to spread around and heat.
- 14Then place a flour tortilla in the pan, and drop a few spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture onto one half of the tortilla.
- 15Use a spatula and wooden spoon to fold the tortilla in half, and cook on both sides'til lightly browned.
- 16Repeat with remaining tortillas and mixture.
- 17Variant: Add some roasted red bell peppers in, just before putting the mixture into the tortillas.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea burritos
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 838.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 14.5 g