Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
We are currently in Kunanurra Western Australia where they grow great chickpeas. I found this recipe on a leaflet in a bag of chickpeas I just bought. Prep time doesn't take the soaking of the chickpeas into account.
- 2 cups uncooked dried garbanzo beans, soaked for 12 hours, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Put chickpeas onions and 8 cups of water into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Cover partially, turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, salt, spices and another 3/4 cup of water.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on low for a further 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the lemon juice, check to see if it needs more salt and pepper, then serve with a sprinkle of parsley over each bowl of soup.
With the exception of using a light veggie broth instead of just water I made this as written and it's really a delight. The lemon adds the perfect touch to bring out the very best of the ingredients. Goodness (both health and taste wise) in a bowl. I served it with some healthy cornbread that I had made the day before for another use.
This is a delicious soup that is good for you. Made half a recipe and am now wishing I had made more. This was served with some gluten free corn muffins and a salad for a filling and healthy dinner.