We are currently in Kunanurra Western Australia where they grow great chickpeas. I found this recipe on a leaflet in a bag of chickpeas I just bought. Prep time doesn't take the soaking of the chickpeas into account.
- 2 cups uncooked dried garbanzo beans, soaked for 12 hours, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Put chickpeas onions and 8 cups of water into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Cover partially, turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, salt, spices and another 3/4 cup of water.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on low for a further 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the lemon juice, check to see if it needs more salt and pepper, then serve with a sprinkle of parsley over each bowl of soup.