A very fast and easy soup made by doctoring canned goods. Reasonably low fat, high fibre, vegetarian. And yet - people like it.
- Drain and rinse the beans, but keep the liquid in which the beans were packed.
- Puree the beans thoroughly in a food processor.
- Saute the seasonings in the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the beans, the vegetable cocktail and the sugar.
- Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Taste the soup, and thin it with water or the bean liquid, according to whether you think the soup needs more salt or not.
- (The bean packing liquid is very salty.) Serve with chopped coriander and lime wedges.