1/3 Photos of Chapatis
This lowfat, high fiber, vegan (without margarine) recipe was taken from the "Healthy Vegetarian Cookery" cookbook by Nicle Oakley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a hollow in the centre.
- 2Add the water gradually, working in the flour to make a firm dough.
- 3Knead well for about 15 minutes, until the dough is smooth.
- 4Cover with a damp cloth and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- 5The dough should be quite firm and hard.
- 6Divide the dough into eight portions.
- 7Roll each into a circle, about 15 cm (6 inch) in diameter, sprinkling the rolling pin and work surface with flour to prevent sticking.
- 8Cook each chapati in a very hot heavy frying pan, without fat.
- 9When the top surface shows signs of bubbling, turn the chapati over and cook for 30-40 seconds on the other side.
- 10Then place the chapati under a warm grill until it puffs up.
- 11Spread margarine lightly on one side, fold over and serve hot.
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chapatis
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.9
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g