Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthier alternative to mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Cauliflower Mash recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with press
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon peel, grated
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place potato and cauliflower in 4-quart saucepan. Add water; cover and heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until potato and cauliflower are fork-tender, stirring once halfway through cooking. Drain vegetables, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- In same saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium-low heat about 1 minute or until garlic is just golden, stirring. Reduce heat to low and return vegetables to saucepan.
- With potato masher or slotted spoon, mash vegetables, adding some reserved cooking liquid if mixture seems dry. Stir in parsley, lemon peel, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
I really enjoyed this. I tried this recipe for two reasons. I like cauliflower and I like garlic and parsley in my mashed potatoes. Don't know why I never thought to mix them all. Thanks for sharing this. I think for my taste I'd like an extra clove or so of garlic however really is good.
What a nice way to prepare the lowly cauliflower. Loved the lemon addition. :)