Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An easy, quick, delicious, healthy, and different recipe I got (and slightly modified) from a Good Housekeeping vegetarian cookbook. If you are in need of some quick comfort soup with some flair- then give this a try. It was so easy and inexpensive to make! The original recipe calls for using dry black beans and soaking and preparing them prior to throwing the rest of the soup together. We just used 1 can of black beans and threw the whole thing in there with everything else. Also, we just eyeballed alot of the ingredients and used more of some vegetables than others (for example- original recipe calls for lots more onion; I love onion and my boyfriend does not so we compromised and used about 3/4 of one). We also thought that next time we would try using different kind of hot peppers, like serrano or anaheim, and less ginger. This was a really tasty soup that has lots of different flavors that could definitely be played around with!
- 1 lb black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups water
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes
- In a large saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add onions and cook until tender. Add jalapenos, garlic, allspice, thyme, and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutues.
- Add beans and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer (about 1 hr or until desired temperature and consistency is reached).
- Add sweet potatoes, brown sugar, salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until beans and sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minute longer.
- *Optional* 4. Blend 1 cup of mixture and add back to saucepot. (We did not do this and the soup was just fine the way it was!).
- Stir in green onions and cilantro, serve and squeeze in the lime. Oh so good!