1 hr 30 mins
This is my favorite recipe invention. It makes enough for a crowd, so if you are interested in making it for fewer than 10 people, I suggest cutting the recipe in half. It is also good if you just add all the ingredients into the slow cooker, minus the Tempeh. (brown and add the tempeh for the last 30 minutes of slow cooker cooking time). Simmer it all day, and not only will you have a great dinner ready when you get home from work, but your house will smell wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) packages tempeh, cut into bite sized squares
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 yellow squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (not drained)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes (squished)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped,to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Chop all veggies place in separate containers.
- 2In a wok, brown tempeh, then saute mushrooms, onions and bell pepper with tempeh mixture.
- 3Adding more olive oil as needed, because the mushrooms will absorb oil quickly.
- 4In a large pot, pour all the tomato products, add seasonings and beans.
- 5When tomato mixture is bubbling, add squashes.
- 6Cook about 10 minutes then add mixture from wok, cooking juices and all.
- 7Simmer about 20 minutes then add garlic in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 8Serve with cornbread or tortillas.
- 9Salad makes a great side dish for this meal.
Nutritional Facts for Carla's Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.8
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1066.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 15.9 g