Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I really like this unusual combination of flavors. Good by itself or served over rice.
Make and share this Caribbean Vegetable Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 fresh chili peppers, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes (3/4 inch cubes)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced okra, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped peanuts
- In a stock pot or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat; saute onions for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and chile or cayenne; saute, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until the onion is transparent.
- Add the grated ginger and water; cover, and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and add the sweet potatoes and salt to taste; simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender.
- Add the tomatoes, okra, and lime juice.
- Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the cilantro and more salt if needed; stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle with chopped peanuts and enjoy.