1 hr 15 mins
I really like this unusual combination of flavors. Good by itself or served over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 fresh chili peppers, minced or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes (3/4 inch cubes)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced okra, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped peanuts
- 1In a stock pot or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat; saute onions for 4-5 minutes.
- 2Add the cabbage and chile or cayenne; saute, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until the onion is transparent.
- 3Add the grated ginger and water; cover, and bring to a boil.
- 4Uncover and add the sweet potatoes and salt to taste; simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender.
- 5Add the tomatoes, okra, and lime juice.
- 6Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- 7Add in the cilantro and more salt if needed; stir to combine.
- 8Ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle with chopped peanuts and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caribbean Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.3
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 79.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 5.1 g