Another Andrew Weil, M.D. recipe that I just changed just slightly. This is very well received
Make and share this Caribbean Rice and Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large pimiento, thin strips or 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into short thin strips
- 1⁄2 small green pepper, cut into short, thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 -10 dashes Tabasco sauce (can use another hot sauce)
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add pimiento, green pepper and garlic.
- Saute 2 minutes.
- Add beans, Tabasco, and vinegar.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover nd simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cilantro. Stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Loved this recipe; it is my first attempt making rice and bean...wow what great flavor. I did use coconut oil instead of olive oil and a chopped onion, but followed the rest exactly. I am co-host on the Caribbean forum and your recipe will be the first one I post. hope you come and check us out.
Love Dr. Weil and loved this recipe. I served it with Simple Caribbean Jerk Chicken and Caribbean Cucumber Salad. I typically never overeat and I ate way too much of this rice. I did add some sliced green onions when sauteing the veggies and think you could add just about anything you wanted to. I enjoyed the flavor of the roasted red pepper and cider vinegar. Thanks!
This is a great side dish. I made it as listed except used red pepper. Very good. Served it with Caribbean Spiced Roast Chicken Caribbean Spiced Roast Chicken and Fruit salsa and Cinnamon chips Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips. Do try this great combination.