Made with red and green tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeños, habanero, Tabasco chiles from the garden. Keeping the Hot and Spicy summer with you throughout the winter. I posted the recipe so you can adjust the pepper to the heat and variety you enjoy! This is HOT! Any of the hot chili's you use be sure to mince them fine! This can be made in 1 pint jars making 7 of them. I go for 1/2 pint because for gifts they go farther.
- 5 lbs tomatoes (red and green tomatoes seeded and chopped = 5 pounds)
- 1 lb chile (I used 2 jalapenos, 2 bell peppers, 1 habanero, 1 Tabasco, and 1 chipotle that I made)
- 1 lb sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup vinegar (5 percent acidity)
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (Also additional fresh cilantro can be added at time of serving)
- Place all but the paste and cilantro in a heavy bottom pot bring to a boil then simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add paste stir in and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro stir in and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jars and adjust lids and process in water canner for 15 minutes.