Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Setting times are not included in preparation time. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- Peel guavas and cut in half; remove seeds.
- Soak in cold water for 30 minutes, wash well.
- Add boiling water and simmer until tender.
- Lift out carefully and place in cold water for 6 hours.
- Drain carefully and simmer for 30 minutes in a heavy syrup made of the sugar and water.
- Keep in syrup until the following day.
- Cook again in syrup until guavas are well coated and juice is very thick.
- Skim from the syrup, drain, spread on a wire rack and allow to dry until no longer sticky.
- Pack between sheets of waxed paper in a tin or a glass jar.