3 hrs 45 mins
Setting times are not included in preparation time. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
My Private Note
- 1Peel guavas and cut in half; remove seeds.
- 2Soak in cold water for 30 minutes, wash well.
- 3Add boiling water and simmer until tender.
- 4Lift out carefully and place in cold water for 6 hours.
- 5Drain carefully and simmer for 30 minutes in a heavy syrup made of the sugar and water.
- 6Keep in syrup until the following day.
- 7Cook again in syrup until guavas are well coated and juice is very thick.
- 8Skim from the syrup, drain, spread on a wire rack and allow to dry until no longer sticky.
- 9Pack between sheets of waxed paper in a tin or a glass jar.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candied Guavas
Serving Size: 1 (1091 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1856.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 464.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.5 g
- Sugars 440.1 g
- Protein 11.5 g