From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of The United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Pickling time not included in preparation time. This fermentation method of pickling was more common then and is similar to the way sauerkraut is made.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash peppers, remove stems, cut off the tops and remove the seeds without breaking the shells.
- 2Add salt and mustard seed to the slaw-shredded cabbage; mix thoroughly.
- 3Pack tightly into peppers.
- 4If desired, replace tops onto stuffed peppers and fasten them down with toothpicks.
- 5Arrange the stuffed peppers upright in a stone crock and cover with cold vinegar.
- 6Place cover over jar and put away in a cool place until ready to use.
- 7According to the cookbook, they may be kept several months before using.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage-Filled Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.9
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 214.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g