Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of The United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Pickling time not included in preparation time. This fermentation method of pickling was more common then and is similar to the way sauerkraut is made.
- Wash peppers, remove stems, cut off the tops and remove the seeds without breaking the shells.
- Add salt and mustard seed to the slaw-shredded cabbage; mix thoroughly.
- Pack tightly into peppers.
- If desired, replace tops onto stuffed peppers and fasten them down with toothpicks.
- Arrange the stuffed peppers upright in a stone crock and cover with cold vinegar.
- Place cover over jar and put away in a cool place until ready to use.
- According to the cookbook, they may be kept several months before using.