Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
from Real Simple magazine
Make and share this Butternut Squash With Cumin Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced tomato (canned)
- 1⁄3 cup dark raisins or 1⁄3 cup golden raisins or 1⁄3 cup craisins
- 1 (32 ounce) container vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped
- Halve and peel the squash.
- Remove the seeds and cut the squash into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the squash, tomatoes, raisins, broth, chickpeas, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the remaining cumin and salt to a boil.
- Stir in the couscous.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Divide the couscous among individual bowls and ladle the squash over the top.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and almonds.
Excellent excellent dish! One of the best couscous dishes on RecipeZaar (in my humble opinion) - and we LOVE couscous and have tried MANY variations :) We served this with Indian Butter Chicken, allowing each person to choose either the butternut sauce or the butter sauce. Otherwise it was served with a slotted spoon seperate from the couscous. Thanks for posting!