1 hr 10 mins
from Real Simple magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup diced tomato (canned)
- 1/3 cup dark raisins or 1/3 cup golden raisins or 1/3 cup craisins
- 1 (32 ounce) container vegetable broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1Halve and peel the squash.
- 2Remove the seeds and cut the squash into 1-inch chunks.
- 3Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 4Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Stir in the squash, tomatoes, raisins, broth, chickpeas, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt. Bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Uncover and cook until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the remaining cumin and salt to a boil.
- 10Stir in the couscous.
- 11Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 12Fluff with a fork.
- 13Divide the couscous among individual bowls and ladle the squash over the top.
- 14Sprinkle with the parsley and almonds.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash With Cumin Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.8
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 927.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 12.9 g