Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I heard about this recipe from a friend of mine, I smiled and nodded and thought to myself - no WAY will my kids eat this - or me for that matter! But she kept saying how delicious it was so I tried it and boy was she right! My friend created this recipe because her husband won't eat vegetables so she finds ways to "hide" them from him. It looks and taste just like spaghetti sauce - the sauce is a little thicker and not quite the robust red that spaghetti sauce is. Try it at least once! I used lots of garlic because I love it so modify to your tastes. As a suggestion, I would add only one can of stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce before adding the second cans until you do a taste test Same suggestion with the tomato paste. Tomato sauce can't get much healthier than this. If you try it, I'd love to know of any modifications you made.
- In a blender/food processor, puree the squash and the can(s) of tomatoes. You may have to do more than one batch.
- In a sauce pan, simmer the puree and add the remaining ingredients.
- Add more stewed tomatoes, sauce and/or paste as needed.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Wonderful served over whole wheat pasta with a big green salad and crusty bread.
Really enjoyed this. Made exact per recipe but think next time I will use a little less tomato. Kids didn't notice a difference. This does have a sweeter flavor than regular tomato sauce but still really good, In the future will try adding sausage.