Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I seem to be making TONS of soup lately. This one is a heart-friendly recipe from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (use the low sodium kind) or 6 cups chicken broth (use the low sodium kind)
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup lentils (use the brown or green kind)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add carrots, celery and squash and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. Thin soup with additional broth if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.*.
- * The heart and Stoke foundation recommends that Canadians use no more than 1 tsp (5 mL) of salt per day!