Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I concocted a new soup last night, made of butternut squash,carrots, chickpeas, and other yummy ingredients enhanced with curry. It is loosely based on the Chickpea and Tahini Soup recipe in Vegetarian Soups For All Seasons, by Nava Atlas.
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (6 ounce) can corn
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste or 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large soup pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the butternut squash, onion, parsnip, 3/4 of the chopped carrots, 1/2 of the chopped scallions, garlic/paste, cooking wine, cumin, corianger, sage, and black pepper.
- Stir, return to a boil, and then simmer covered on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- While saving the liquid, remove most of the vegetables from the pot, and puree in a blender; then return the vegetable puree and liquid to the pot.
- Add the chickpeas, cabbage, corn, and the remaining carrots and scallions.
- Adjust seasonings to taste (I like it with extra cumin powder!) and serve.
- This goes well with crusty bread and a spinach salad.
- Suggested accompaniments: crusty bread and a spinach salad.