1 hr 5 mins
Geri by the Sea's Note:
I concocted a new soup last night, made of butternut squash,carrots, chickpeas, and other yummy ingredients enhanced with curry. It is loosely based on the Chickpea and Tahini Soup recipe in Vegetarian Soups For All Seasons, by Nava Atlas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (6 ounce) can corn
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste or 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In a large soup pot, bring the water to a boil.
- 2Add the butternut squash, onion, parsnip, 3/4 of the chopped carrots, 1/2 of the chopped scallions, garlic/paste, cooking wine, cumin, corianger, sage, and black pepper.
- 3Stir, return to a boil, and then simmer covered on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 4While saving the liquid, remove most of the vegetables from the pot, and puree in a blender; then return the vegetable puree and liquid to the pot.
- 5Add the chickpeas, cabbage, corn, and the remaining carrots and scallions.
- 6Adjust seasonings to taste (I like it with extra cumin powder!) and serve.
- 7This goes well with crusty bread and a spinach salad.
- 9Suggested accompaniments: crusty bread and a spinach salad.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Curry Soup
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.3
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1108.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: