1/2 Photos of Bulgur Pilaf With Broccoli and Peppers
I have recently started the WW Core program which emphasizes whole grains, produce, and a little bit of good oil. Around the same time I started I also re-found a lovely little cookbook that a friend gave me a few years ago called "One Pot Vegetarian Dishes" by Amy Cotler. This pilaf is a modification of a recipe from that book. It needs a little salt and pepper but is a nice main dish or side dish depending on your eating style. The original recipe says it can be served either warm or cold though I have only tried it warm. And the original recipe called for red pepper. As I only had frozen green pepper that is what I used, but feel free to change it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut small
- 1 onion, chopped (use a small onion)
- 2/3 cup frozen green bell peppers or 1 fresh green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- dried oregano (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1Bring a large pan of salted water to boil over high heat.
- 2Add the broccoli and cook until it is crip tender but still green, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3Drain the broccoli and rinse it briefly under cold water.
- 4Using the same pan, add the oil.
- 5Then add the onion, garlic, pepper, and oregano if using.
- 6(Just use about 1/4 tsp.) Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onion is translucent which is about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 7Add the tomatoes, bulgur, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- 9Cover it and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- 10Start checking at 10 minutes but it may take up to 15.
- 11Turn off the heat and add the broccoli and the black beans.
- 12Cover the pan and let it sit until the bulgur is tender but still slightly firm.
- 13This will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Pilaf With Broccoli and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 272.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g