Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Buckwheat is a cereal rich in lysine. Buckwheat groats are a very simple way of preparing this gluten free cereal.
- Cover the buckwheat with hot water, drain and dry it again, then mill it very coarsely.
- Cook with the listed water over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Spicy variation: add vegetable stock granules and season with fresh herbs and a little garlic.
- Can also add some grated cheese.
- Sweet groats: add a little honey and vanilla extract.
- Fold in ordinary cream or whipped cream to taste.
I skipped Step #1. Bob's Red Mill Organic Roasted Kasha worked perfectly for this recipe. Used closer to 2 cups water because I wanted to be sure the kasha cooked up soft and fluffy. Seasoned with a light sprinkle of salt and stirred in about 1/2 tablespoon butter. Served with: Balsamic Baked Beets with Red Onions & Hazelnuts . PS *loved* the leftovers this morning warmed with a splash of rice milk, honey and raisins! Thanks for posting!