Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Simple, easy and very inexpensive, this is better than the store bought stuff, in my opinion. Adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook to suit our tastes.
- Put the rice, 8 cups of water and salt into a large pot. Bring the water to a steady boil using high heat.
- After boiling, reduce temperature to low and simmer for approximately three hours, or until the rice is mushy and falling apart. I often leave this on my stove for 4 or more hours with no negative side effects. **Note: Leave the lid on for the entire cooking process. You don't want the water to evaporate and then all you're left with is mushy rice.
- Let the liquid cool somewhat before adding it to a blender. Add any optional ingredients and puree several minutes until rice has become completely liquid. I usually strain the bigger pieces out of the liquid first before running it through the blender.
- Transfer to a large container, and add 1 cup or more of water to thin out the consistency a bit if you like your rice milk that way.
- Keep refrigerated and stir before each use. Unsure as to how long this keeps in the fridge, but we've used it up to a week after making it and it still tastes wonderful.
This is an awesome recipe! I had no idea it would be so easy and so good. Thanks for sharing.