Simple, easy and very inexpensive, this is better than the store bought stuff, in my opinion. Adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook to suit our tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the rice, 8 cups of water and salt into a large pot. Bring the water to a steady boil using high heat.
- 2After boiling, reduce temperature to low and simmer for approximately three hours, or until the rice is mushy and falling apart. I often leave this on my stove for 4 or more hours with no negative side effects. **Note: Leave the lid on for the entire cooking process. You don't want the water to evaporate and then all you're left with is mushy rice.
- 3Let the liquid cool somewhat before adding it to a blender. Add any optional ingredients and puree several minutes until rice has become completely liquid. I usually strain the bigger pieces out of the liquid first before running it through the blender.
- 4Transfer to a large container, and add 1 cup or more of water to thin out the consistency a bit if you like your rice milk that way.
- 5Keep refrigerated and stir before each use. Unsure as to how long this keeps in the fridge, but we've used it up to a week after making it and it still tastes wonderful.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice Milk
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 100.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.6 g