1 hr 15 mins
Got this from a friend. You need to know that you like cumin before you try it. I do and make this often for a delicious veggie lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup brown lentils or 3/4 cup green lentil, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1In a big skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in the onion, garlic, carrot, cumin, and coriander.
- 3Saute, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until the onion is limp.
- 4Add the rice and lentils; saute fo 2 minutes.
- 5Add the water and salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- 6Lower heat and simmer about 40 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender.
- 7Fluff mixture with a fork.
- 8Stir in the scallion and cilantro.
- 9Dry the skillet lid; place a crumpled paper towel over the rice, replace the lid and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Rice and Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.2
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 607.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 15.6 g