Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Got this from a friend. You need to know that you like cumin before you try it. I do and make this often for a delicious veggie lunch.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup brown lentils or 3⁄4 cup green lentil, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a big skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add in the onion, garlic, carrot, cumin, and coriander.
- Saute, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until the onion is limp.
- Add the rice and lentils; saute fo 2 minutes.
- Add the water and salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer about 40 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender.
- Fluff mixture with a fork.
- Stir in the scallion and cilantro.
- Dry the skillet lid; place a crumpled paper towel over the rice, replace the lid and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This was tastey and fiarly easy to make. I didn't have cilantro but I did add some fresh rosemary and a can of diced tomatoes. My husband and I ate it for a few days and one time ate it with sour cream and cheese on the top to add a bit more flavor. Thanks for posting