1/1 Photo of Breakfast Oats & Fruit
White Rose Child's Note:
This was originally on Vegweb but I have changed it so much mine is practically a separate recipe! It's a warming, hearty bowlful of healthy but delicious ingredients. Plus it's simple and quick to make once you've done it a couple times. Personally I like walnuts, pumpkin seeds and raisins on mine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 3 tablespoons natural bran or 3 tablespoons wheat germ or 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (optional) or 1/3 cup other frozen berries (optional)
Options for topping
- 1It is optional to soak the oats overnight in the water. I do soak them because it is easier for the body to access nutrients from soaked grain.
- 2Either way, in the morning, slice the banana (it might be helpful to let it thaw 10 minute if it's too frozen to slice easily- or use a paring knife). Transfer the banana slices to your smallest saucepan.
- 3If you soaked the oats, drain the water into the saucepan; if you didn't soak, just pour in the 1 cup water. Add the banana slices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot for about 2-3 minutes, or until the banana is "bubbly" and very juicy-looking. At this point you can add the blueberries to simmer for 1-3 minute.
- 4In a cereal bowl, mix together the oats and bran, wheat germ or flax seeds. Sprinkle in whatever topping options you prefer.
- 5Now dump the boiled banana/berry stuff on top of the oat mixture. If there is still a lot of liquid on them, use a slotted spoon to scoop the banana/berries into the oats. Just add enough of the liquid to moisten the oats- adjust the consistency to your taste. Mix it all together well. Sprinkle it with wheat germ or flaxseeds if you like, and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Oats & Fruit
Serving Size: 1 (600 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.9
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 5.9 g