Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Vegpeople.com. Change the list of ingredients to suit your own tastes, keeping the ratio of bulgur to water. We liked it with walnuts, dried cranberries, brown sugar, a splash of milk, cinnamon and cardamom. The serving size depends on how much you eat. It served two of us perfectly.
- Add the bulgur to cold water, bring to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer in a covered pan for 12-15 minutes.
- After it is cooked thoroughly, add the dried fruit, seeds, and nuts, spices and syrup -- however much you want.
- Serve hot!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated, preferably without the syrup on top.
- Eat leftovers within a couple days.
I was looking for something other than oatmeal for breakfast, and I was very happy with this selection. I made the bulgur as directed, but only added a bit of sugar-free maple syrup and some leftover cooked apples. I did put a pinch of salt in the cooking water. I don't think it needed anything else.
This is great! I just make it the same as i would oatmeal, with whatever I've got. Today it was bananas, a spoonful of brown sugar, raisins, and walnuts. Thanks for the idea AJO i think i'm going to be going though a lot more bulgur now.
I loved this! I toasted the walnuts and pepitas and also used dried cranberries, a splash of non fat milk and loved the cinnamon and ground cardamom. I used about a 1/2 tsp of maple syrup to finish it off, and this was a wonderful breakfast. Thanks for posting.