Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I FINALLY figured out how to get the PERFECT hamburger bun! This is tweaked from a few other recipes.
- Add ingredients according to bread machine instructions and set on dough cycle.
- When complete, shape into balls and flatten to about 3/4 inch thick.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet (or use a silicone mat and skip the grease).
- Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
- Optional: Once they have risen, brush tops with melted butter/margarine or egg wash (1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water).
- *important* Place them in a COLD oven. Set to 300 degrees. When the oven indicates that it's up to temperature, turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Set the timer for 15 min and watch closely. It's done in about 10 min in my oven. The buns should be JUST set.
Better than the recipe I had been using, not as light and fluffy as I am looking for, but a good bun.
These had a pretty good flavor but the texture wasn't perfect for me as they turned out a little too packy.
Absolutely beautiful buns! My family gravitated to the kitchen while they were baking because they smelled so good. They are light and fluffy with a nice lightly crunchy crust. Tastiest hamburger buns I've ever had and homemade to boot! Thanks! A quick tip to cut the rise time in half. Cover with a damp towel and put in the oven, turn the oven on to the lowest temp (170) and as soon as the preheat light goes off turn the oven off. They will be fully risen in 30 minutes. The other tip was that I had to look up an amount for 'a 1/4 ounce package of yeast' it's 2 1/4tsps.