Adapted from a recipe published in the 12/20/09 _New York Times_.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the tofu in half through the middle of the slab, then cut each piece in half. Place slices between paper towels to drain.
- 2Combine sugar with 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan; from this point forward, only swirl the pan, never stir. Cook 20-35 minutes, until the bubbles are thick and the syrup is a deep amber. Add 1/2 cup water (it will sputter violently) and swirl. If any sugar recrystallizes, stir carefully with a metal spoon. When the syrup is clear, turn off the heat.
- 3Pour the caramel into a wide skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook 2 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the soy sauce and cook 10 minutes, until the vegetables are well coated and the sauce is thick and viscous.
- 4Add the tofu slices in one layer and cook, uncovered, 7 minutes.Carefully turn the slices over and cook another 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a warm platter. Pour the sauce over the tofu, scatter with scallions and sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with white rice.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Tofu in Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 776.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 51.4 g
- Protein 12.0 g