Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a show-stopper dessert from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It's easy to make and your guests will feel very special. I used a California Cabernet and these were delicious.
- Cut a thin level horizontal slice from the bottom of each pear so they can easily stand upright.
- In a medium stockpot, combine the wine, water, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and carefully stand pears upright in pot.
- Return pot to burner and bring to brisk simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduct the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until pears are very tender but not falling apart, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting with liquid occasionally.
- With slotted spoon transfer pears to a individual serving plates.
- Meanwhile, boil the cooking liquid over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Remove and discard cinnamon pieces.
- Spoon syrup evenly over the pears; let cool to room temperature.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Or cover and refrigerate 1- 24 hours and serve chilled.
Very fancy, and tasty too! I have already repeated this recipe 3 times, the first two with family and the most recent with friends. Just a few suggestions: So guests/family don't have to fuss too much with the strange-looking stems after they have eaten the pears' meat (and so the pears turn out a little more tender), I used an apple corer and took out most of the stem but left the tops on so the fruit still looked like fruit (careful not to go through the top...takes practice). I also added more wine for a thicker serving sauce.