2 hrs 10 mins
This is a show-stopper dessert from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It's easy to make and your guests will feel very special. I used a California Cabernet and these were delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut a thin level horizontal slice from the bottom of each pear so they can easily stand upright.
- 2In a medium stockpot, combine the wine, water, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Remove from heat and carefully stand pears upright in pot.
- 5Return pot to burner and bring to brisk simmer over medium-high heat.
- 6Reduct the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until pears are very tender but not falling apart, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting with liquid occasionally.
- 7With slotted spoon transfer pears to a individual serving plates.
- 8Meanwhile, boil the cooking liquid over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- 9Remove and discard cinnamon pieces.
- 10Spoon syrup evenly over the pears; let cool to room temperature.
- 11Serve at room temperature.
- 12Or cover and refrigerate 1- 24 hours and serve chilled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Pears in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 0.8 g