Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This jam combines beautifully fresh blueberries with orange juice and a double dose of ginger (powdered and grated fresh). It's not terribly sweet, which makes it perfect to serve with sweeter breakfast pastries. Adapted from a recipe by Lucy Baker at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/muVwxz
- If canning the jam, prepare your canning jars and lids.
- Pulse blueberries in blender or food processor until coarsely crushed. Work in batches if necessary. You should have about 6 cups.
- Place 4 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. In a second bowl, combine pectin with remaining sugar.
- Grate orange zest and reserve. Squeeze orange into a measuring cup; add water to bring up to 1/2 cup.
- Combine blueberries, orange juice and zest, grated ginger, ground ginger and sugar-pectin mixture in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Dump in remaining sugar all at once. Add butter and stir well. Bring back to a boil, then cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off any foam on the surface.
- Ladle jam into sterilized jars. Apply lids and process for 10 minutes. Let stand on counter at least 6 hours or overnight. (If not processed, allow to cool on counter then refrigerate and use within 3-4 weeks.).