This is medium-spicy, but like any chili recipe, you can modify this for your own taste by adjusting the amount of chipotle and chili powder used, and the type of canned tomatoes with peppers you use. I used Del Monte's Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapenos, which I think is kickier than the typical tomatoes & green chilis. I brown ground beef on the side for my husband to put into his portion. I usually use cooked dried beans instead of canned.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile, minced
- Stir everything together in a 4 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Set power to low and cook for 6 hours or longer (we usually let this cook for 10 hours).
- Serve with cheese or sour cream if you wish.