Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I know what you're thinking, potatoes with chocolate and cherries, gross, ick and ewwww! Wrong, there's no chocolate or cherries here, just a very different potato salad that is surprisingly tasty. Give it a try!
- 1 (5 1/3 medium) lb potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and throughly drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup diced tart apple
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook potatoes, covered, in 2 inches boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, water and pepper.
- Mix in apples.
- Add potatoes, sauerkraut, onions and parsley to apple mixture; toss gently.
- Season with salt.
This was very good! I didn't have canola oil so I used sunflower oil instead...I also forgot the salt - oops! However it was very good even then. I was a little leery when I weighted out 1 pound of potatoes (only 4 medium sized ones) as this was to be the main entrée for dinner for the two of us but it ended up making plenty. We ate this with rye bread and sharp cheddar cheese slices on the side. My husband said that the apples were weird but that they actually worked in the recipe. Thanks for a new vegetarian recipe!
You know that "Mmmmm," when the eyes go wide and the fork goes in fast for the second bite? That was DH when he tasted the salad made exactly as written. But he agreed with me that it would be even better with bacon. I know that Mirj keeps kosher so that isn't an option for her but I added about a 1/2lb of bacon, cooked and crumbled, to a triple batch. I think that next time I'll tone down the vinegar a bit because its a touch more puckery than I like, but its really a wonderful dish.