Black-Eyed Peas and Brown Rice
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Put the rice in a large bowl and gently separate the grains and break apart any lumps.
- In a large frying pan, bring the water, onion, celery, garlic, and pepper to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the black-eyed peas and squash and return to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas and squash are tender and most of the water has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Add the rice, bell pepper, and pepper sauce and, stirring and tossing frequently, simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, transfer to a bowl.